As the only teacher training institution of the government in the region, the College of Education makes a rightful claim as educator to the masses of the nation’s largest island. It lays claims to the distinction since 1924.
The pillar signifies the solid position and tested quality of the College as a premiere learning institution.
The adult and the child’s handclasp evoke the relationship between the teaching profession and man’s development.
Mission & Goals
The College shall provide instruction, conduct research and render public service activities that promote better educational opportunities at all levels with special emphasis on quality teacher education.
The main concern of the College of Teacher Education is the preparation of well- trained teachers for the Elementary and Secondary levels, imbued with ideals, aspirations and traditions of Philippine life and culture. The College equips the graduates of Bachelor of Elementary Education and Bachelor of Secondary Education with skills and competencies in educating children and adolescents. It offers in-service programs as continuing education for the professional renewal of teachers, as well as provides leadership in innovations in education through the Elementary and Secondary School Laboratories.
Secondary Education Program
- To provide learning opportunities for prospective teachers to know the principles, approaches and techniques in the secondary schools as well as skills in educational management
- To provide students with rich experiences so that they will have a clear understanding and appreciation of the nature of the learner, and will be able to make critical decisions as to teaching methods, evaluation techniques, management of classes and the total teaching act.
- To develop students’ strong moral character and dedication to the teaching profession and to equip them with the motivation and the skills for leadership in Philippine education in the region BSU serves.
- To provide opportunities at the Secondary School Laboratory that will expose the students to alternative and innovative delivery systems in education.
- To provide continuing education programs for the on-the-job teachers in specific professional needs as well as other related extension projects.
- To support current thrusts of the National Government by integrating programs such as global peace and development, multicultural and gender equality, environmental education and the like in all relevant curricular areas.
Elementary Education Program
- To develop the students understanding of the nature of the child particularly in the manner they grow and develop physically, mentally, emotionally and socially.
- To assist the students in developing their critical thinking skills through relevant classroom experiences.
- To provide opportunities for hands-on experiences they will enable them to utilize various pedagogical strategies through the Early Exposure Program and Field Studies.
- To help the students appreciate the value of collaborative learning and inquiry through relevant research activities.
- To develop among the students’ desirable values, skills and attitudes that are essential to the teaching profession.
- To enhance the students’ capability to respond to the immediate needs of the community through extension services.
Professional Studies Division
- To develop in the prospective teachers a knowledge and appreciation of the philosophical, educational and psychological issues of the teaching-learning process and relate those to the methods and techniques of teaching.
Performing Arts Division
- Provide opportunities to satisfy desire for creative self-expression.
- To develop the ability to apply rhythmic fundamental skills and social understanding in organized groups.
- To appreciate and understand different cultures through folk dancing.
- Improve skills through participation in lead-up activities that will increase interest and ability to play the games.
- Develop desirable human attitudes toward good human relationship.
- Develop the skills of the prospective in the manipulation of various materials using a variety of techniques that make the end effect more
- Provide art activities with give direction in advancing the principles of
- Provide an art program that considers individual differences and encourages the development of creativity.
- Develop in the prospective teacher a tolerant appreciation in evaluating the art expression of self and of
- Develop civic responsibility, social awareness and group cooperation through
Applied Science and Arts
- Provide the prospective teacher with the basic knowledge and skills in planning, preparing and serving of m
- Understand the relationship of adequate of food supply to
- Be cognizant of the problems that beset the modem families and the corresponding solutions to prevent the break up or weakening of the Filipino family as a basic unit of society.
- Provide the prospective teacher with basic knowledge of scientific home management relevant to the conditions of modem societal living.
- Develop desirable work attitudes, basic work skills and habits through actual learning situations relevant to everyday chores at home, school and community
- Encourage the prospective teachers to engage in the production of useful articles not only for home consumptions but also to augment the family income.
- Inculcate in the minds of the prospective teachers respect for work, for skills in performance and for carrying tasks through to completion.
- Understand the need for preserving food.
- Acquire the knowledge and attitudes basic to satisfy family life.
- Learn the business secrets of marketing goods profitably.
- Explain the grammar of music in simple terms, promote musical literacy and provide essential knowledge for the music to
- Provide experiences in singing, playing and understanding
- Show the prospective teacher how to read and explain songs for classroom use, as well as to create
- Give the prospective teacher a functional musical background and make learning a rewarding experience, not a meaningless one.