A tree is used to symbolize the College of Arts and Sciences. It is a symbol of life and a symbol of the beauty of life. From a tree, wisdom in the sciences come and from a tree the inspiration for grace, color, shape, movement, melody, peace and even the university of the arts.
The Filipino typography makes the point that all the colleges in the University; it is the Arts and Sciences that is in the position of promoting nationalism and patriotism.
Blue water symbolizes the constant and refreshing development of Filipino lifestyle and culture through the study of the arts and sciences.
The unbroken line used in delineating the tree shows the complementarily of the sciences and the arts in life of man. Though diverse as discipline, both complete the life of the person.
The major goal of the College of Arts and Sciences is two-fold:
1.) To provide training for students who seek professions in the Language and Letters, mathematics, natural sciences, and social sciences; through quality instruction, research, community extension services and production.
2.) To provide a basic liberal arts training to students who seek professions in education and in business administration.
Quality and Excellence
Provide broad and specialized learning experiences to the students who seek proficiency in the language and letters, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences, which they could use in the profession of education and business administration
Relevance and Responsiveness
Develop and inculcate skills and values necessary tor the student to become a better and productive citizen
Access and Equity
Provide opportunities to deserving students in facilitating their holistic progress
Efficiency and Effectiveness
Strengthen the competencies of the students through research, production, and community extension services.
- To provide the prospective professional a broad general education;
- To develop his competence in his chosen field of specialization, whether this be in the languages, mathematics, natural sciences or social sciences through quality instruction;
- To develop in the student the ability to think critically and to make judicious decisions necessary in his development as a productive and well-rounded citizen;
- To provide the student with appropriate learning experiences which will develop an investigative mind and attitude;
- To provide him opportunities for developing his appreciation of human values and cultural heritage, making him a more refined and humane person;
- To enhance the student’s abilities to conduct research; and
- To develop the social awareness of the student through active involvement in community extension services.
Natural Sciences Department
- To develop among the students a creative mind and truly scientific attitude.
- To acquaint the students with new developments in science and technology.
- To upgrade the students’ content background in their areas of specialization.
- To develop the competencies they need in the performance of their roles as future community leaders.
- To instill in every student a sound philosophy of life and good personal values which is the root form which every objective derives its ultimate meaning?
Language and Letters Department
- To develop effective communicative skills that assist the student in coping with different situations especially in a multi-lingual setting.
- To develop the communicative competence in order for education students to teach effectively subjects that uses the Filipino or English as medium of instruction;
- To develop the students appreciation of the moral, spiritual and other worthwhile values and concepts through the literature of other cultures, as well as those found in Philippine culture and society;
- To acquire knowledge and develop an appreciation of the arts and sciences as well as well as humanities to discover one’s abilities, potentialities and roles in order to attain self-fulfillment;
- To further enrich one’s perspectives of himself and the world around him; humanities to discover one’s abilities, potentialities and roles in order to attain self-fulfillment;
- To develop discrimination in literary tastes through the cultivation of an inquisitive attitude as well as open-mindedness;
- To develop the essential literary skills that will assist the student to intelligently react to, interpret and express ideas;
- To develop student’s research capabilities; and
- To enrich one’s learning experiences through extension services in the community
- To develop mathematically literate individuals capable of attaining the society goals.
- To provide the students with specific mathematical skills and concepts needed to enable them to function efficiently and effectively in the world of work that they will engage in.
Social Sciences Department
- To develop a multidisciplinary approach in teaching social science subjects taking in mind the other disciplines needed by students to have a holistic understanding of self and society.
- To broaden the scope of learning through the inculcation of liberalism and humanism in the curriculum.
- To instill the love of learning for the purpose of developing better persons who are responsive and proactive to the needs of the community and the society
- To be well update with the social cultural, political, and economic issues affecting the nation in particular and world in general. This includes adapting new strategies and methodologies in teaching social sciences.
- To help students become competent social researchers that has a holistic understanding of themselves and the world around them.
- To advocate nationalism and culturalism as an important component for progress and development.