Bukidnon State University is located in the capital town of Malaybalay City, Bukidnon and is strategically positioned to serve Region 10, the CARAGA Region and other outlaying cities and provinces of Mindanao. It is one of the leading educational institutions serving the people not only in Mindanao but also the country in general. The following series of milestones became evolutionary decades in the history of the College.
First decade: 1924-1934. The Bukidnon State College was known as the Bukidnon Provincial High School when it started offering education courses in 1924, to produce elementary school teachers. On October 1927 it acquired a 6.02-hectare of land area, on which most of the present school buildings are housed. In the succeeding year, it was converted into a normal school and was then renamed as the Bukidnon Normal School. A training department was also started during this period.
Second decade: 1934-1944. The Commonwealth government mandated the school to carry out its task of “developing moral character, personal discipline, civic conscience, and vocational efficiency.” However, the school had to close during World War II, on December 9, 1941, even as it was making a slight headway towards acquiring a collegiate status.
Third decade: 1944-1954. The school re-opened on September 1, 1945. Classes were held in Army tents at the provincial capitol grounds in Malaybalay and in private homes. Nipa-roofed buildings served as classrooms in 1947 until new, semi-permanent structures were built from war damage claims on February 11, 1950, and from ICA-NEC funds in 1957. Mr. Pacifico A. Ramos assumed his post as principal. The secondary curriculum was phased out to give way to the 2-year special education courses starting school year 1952-53.
Fourth decade: 1954-1964. This era was marked by the shedding off of the outmoded curricula. Thus, the total phase-out of the secondary course was done in 1956 and the 2-year special curricula was discontinued in the following year. Kindergarten classes were opened. Graduate studies began in 1960 and were carried out in external study centers located in the neighboring towns and provinces. The school became an independent school division and the administrator was granted the rank of superintendent in 1961.
Fifth decade: 1964-1974. Congressmen Carlos Fortich and Benjamin Tabios, attempted to elevate the school’s status into a national teacher’s college. In June 1971, the Bachelor of Science in Secondary School Education was offered and the high school training department was also added. The Bukidnon Normal School was renamed Bukidnon Normal College in 1972.
Sixth decade: 1974-1984. The first master’s graduate was produced in 1975. Dr. Jaime M. Gellor succeeded Supt. Ramos on May 1976. With the issuance of P.D. 944, the Bukidnon Normal College was converted into Bukidnon State College on June 14, 1976. Dr. Gellor was appointed as the first president of the school on April 21, 1977. More permanent buildings were constructed.
Seventh decade: 1984-1994. Continuing infrastructure build-up was made. In 1986, Dr. Teresita T. Tumapon was appointed as the second president. More course offerings and organizational restructuring occurred. The new administration also pushed for more development projects.
1994-1998: As the school entered its eight decade, Dr. Tumapon strived to realize her vision for an innovative college. Linkages with external and internal groups were strengthened. Programs on Information Technology and Instructional Systems Design were introduced.
1999 to 2007: Dr. Victor M. Barroso was appointed as the third BSC President. He immediately mobilized his new team members to institute significant changes in the academic and administrative aspects of the college, which promise a continuing development to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
2007 to 2015: The College obtained the University status with RA 9456 converting BSC to BSU, signed by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. Dr. Victor M. Barroso was inaugurated the first BSU President, a vision fulfilled when he applied for presidency in 1999. Rigorous improvements were aligned to address the global perspective of the University.
2015 to present: Dr. Oscar B. Cabañelez is the second President of Bukidnon State University. He replaced Dr. Victor M. Barroso, who retired on January 12, 2015. Since Dr. Cabañelez assumed presidency on January 13, 2015, he placed emphasis on quality education services. Driven by his commitment to raise the level of quality and stakeholders satisfaction, he continued to pursue the university’s quest for ISO 9001: 2008 certification.